Saturday, January 06, 2007

It's happy and warm out but I'm worried.


I just watched the DVD to An Inconvenient Truth that Simone lent me. If you haven’t seen it, rent it now.
The information is shocking and compellingly shows how we are destroying our Earth through global warming. It opened my eyes. Especially today. It's winter. It’s January 6th. And it's a record setting 70° outside. Sure the weather is enjoyable, but it shouldn't be like this outside. And it's just going to continue beyond comfortable unless we do something about it now.
Al Gore is amazingly charismatic in this. Fascinating throughout and at no point was I bored.
It’s an inspiring call to action. Bravo Al Gore!



So I’m doing my small part to make a difference. I logged on to the ConEdison Solutions website to switch receiving my electricity to a renewable green energy source. You still get your power through ConEd but instead of drawing on traditional power sources, such as nuclear power and fossil fuel sources, GREEN Power is generated from regional wind and low-impact hydropower sources.
For less than the price of a crappy sandwich at Lenny's a month, you can help contribute to making a market for greener renewable energy sources.
So sign up today.



I read The Works: Anatomy of a City which wonderfully describes the infrastructures and how and what it is they do to keep NYC alive and running. One chapter describes NY State’s future plans on generating energy through Hydro turbines. These are like wind turbines except that they are 30 feet below the surface of the river using the currents to spin the heads. Hopefully by 2013, there will be a field of 200-500 turbines in the East River between Manhattan and Roosevelt Island. Contributing to an energy source that will one day become part of the hydroelectric, wind, solar and geothermal sources that will make up 25 percent of NY’s energy source.

Help make a difference.

No comments: