Monday, February 16, 2004

The 13th of Friday

Strange happenings.

Felt woozy this morning. I was on the phone when my hearing dropped out in my right ear and the room started spinning. Laid down on my desk to steady myself so I wouldn't hit my head on a cabinet in case I passed out. Felt nauseous. Maybe it's low blood sugar. Nina got me some OJ and I felt a little better.

Sunday is Marina's birthday. It's the Big One but she's OK with it. We wanted to celebrate at work and we usually have something catered through LA Cafe, but their cakes are really bad and boring so S. Fisch & Jenny C. went to Magnolias to pick up some 2 dozen cupcakes.
    Ate 2 cupcakes which is 1 and a 1/2 cupcakes more than is advisable and got all giddy from the sugar. Bouncing off of people. From low blood sugar to a super sugar high.

Went to a book signing with Jenny C. & our summer and our winter intern Erin, that was held at the International Center of Photography. Photographer Jason Fulford & Leanne Shapton started J&L Books and had a group book signing for their authors that included Mike Slack. Saw so many random people there that I know from my different circles but who didn't know each other. Author agent and former editor Jim F., Ken H. from sales, one one my freelance authors, and my friend & designer Rodrigo C. Rodrigo just moved his studio down by Chinatown that he shares with Timothy H. Gotta meet them for lunch soon. He was just profiled in STEP Inside Design magazine as an up-and-coming designer though he's already here.
    Admission was pay what you wished, so we went to see the current exhibition, Only Skin Deep: Changing Visions of the American Self. But I was too distracted to enjoy it because I was already late meeting friends for dinner at John's Pizza.

Wanted to use the men's room before I left. The 1st floor was single occupancy and it was occupied. Waited and a guy came out, I went to go in but he said sorry but someone was still inside. huh? Can't believe it, at a museum. I appreciate the idea of public sex, but I gotta go. The question: was it going to be a woman or a man that was coming out. It was a girl with red highlights in her hair who sheepishly came out. Told Jenny about what happened, and we agreed, so sad, can't wait an hour and in a dirty bathroom too. Those Horndogs!
    We walked out into the brilliant bright lights of Time Square. Jenny was inspired to sing out, "New York, City of Lights!" as she crossed the street into an uncoming white stretched limo. "Watch it Jen!" I called & stopped her. Saved your life. How sad would it be if your last dying words were, "City of Lights!"

No comments: