Monday, February 16, 2004

PBS Frasier marathon

Stayed in today and since I don't have cable, I watched PBS, channel 13 all afternoon. Saw some interesting shows:




Dorothy Dandridge: An American Beauty. The life of America's first black female movie star. Halle Berry portrayed her in a biopic and won a Golden Globe for it.




Tupperware! the secret behind how one charismatic women, Brownie Wise, taught 50s America women that they can earn thousands by creating a new way of selling, the tupperware party.
    But with documentaries, you always hear the music turn south, it always seems to end on a sad note, the subjects of the docs never seem to get to enjoy the fruits of their labors. I guess that's the nature of documenting real life and that's why we have happy endings in movies. But what followed after the docs were uplifting shows which showed that you can have your fruits and eat them too. Cooking shows. I don't really cook, but I love seeing the process.


Mexico: One Plate at a Time with Rick Bayless. I find him very creepy. You be the judge.

  

I learned, along with a whole class of blank faced cooking apprentices, how to roast whole cuts of meats with root vegetables while watching Master Class at Johnson & Wales. And through America's Test Kitchen from Cook's Illustrated, I learned what it takes to bake the ultimate ethereal lemon cheesecake. By determining the best ingredients through trial and error testing. The right lemons, (round not oblong or hard which means a thick rind and therefore not juicy), the right crust, (made with Barnum animal crackers, not gummy or coarse with a hint of lemon), and how to pick the best spring foam form that was non-leaking, non-sticking and was also inexpensive.

Now I'm hungry. I guess I'll order in some take-out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How about a sequel
"Mexico one flush every 15 Minutes".
James P. | | Email | Mon, Mar 08, 2004 // 7:05:24 pm | #