Saturday, March 20, 2004

Dangerous Curve Ahead, Do Not Lean On The Doors.

Had a great time at this place that David found, Perbacco Cafe, an Italian Tapas bar on 4th between A & B. It was crowded so we drank a bottle of wine at the bar as we waited to be seated. Karen and Simone were talking and it turns out that they went to the same school in Miami. small world. When we sat down, we ordered a bunch of small plates and entrees. So yummy. It's great that Karen has such a big apettite, especially for desserts. We shared 3.
    Getting home was an ordeal. I waited forever for transfers from the 4 to the R to catch my PATH train at the downtown WTC stop. Thankfully the train was pulling into the station as I got there. I got a seat and was reading TimeOut mag as we idled in the station for over 10 minutes. When we finally left the station, the train engineer accelerated immediately. He was speeding through the curves that circled the pit that was Ground Zero. We are going way too fast. Wheels were screeching violently. Metal against metal. The force of going through the turn so fast lifted us off our seats. I had to hold on to the pole to keep from getting thrown onto the floor. I looked out the window to get my bearings, I saw electrical sparks off the 3rd rail. The train was pitching and I felt that the wheels were lifting off the tracks. I swore that the train was going to tip over into the pit. People were screaming and then the screams rose even higher. A man who was leaning against the door on one side of the train was thrown head first against the door on the opposite side. The force of his head hitting the window knocked it out of it's doorframe. He was desperately holding onto the now bent door, struggling not to be thrown out the windowless door. People were holding onto his body and someone pulled the emergency brakes. Chaos. What the Fucks going on! The train lurched to a stop. The guy had a bleeding gash across his left brow. The train conductor came into our car. Radioing ahead for an ambulance. A man passed his business card to the injured man and said, "Here's my card, the engineer was going too fast on that curve, call me if you want representation." They had to shut the car down and we had to go to the next car. I just want to get home already.

No comments: