Thursday, March 04, 2004

Oy! I had the chutzpah to schlep this cockamamie comp to the shmoozy jacket meeting but I got my tochus kicked and now I feel like a shlamiel.

I was struggling with this jacket design. I had to work in too many images and too much copy. It was hard balancing all this information but I got it to a point where it was sorta coming together so I asked Mike what he thought. Eh, it's OK, but he knew what Matthew, one of our Publishers was going to say. It looks too Ongepatshket. It's one of those words that Matthew sometimes drops when trying to critique those hard to critique cover designs. With resigned awareness I laughed, "That's just great." I know it's not there yet but I just got the new title & subtitle today, the jacket meeting was fast approaching and I needs to get something approved to go into catalog.
     So at the jacket presentation, when I held up the comp, angling it just right so that Matthew had the optimal unobstructed view, he took off his glasses, squinted at it and said, “It’s too Ongepatshket.” People around the table looked at each other in confusion at the term but I just looked at Mike, kicked him and laughed.

Oh yeah, Ongepatshket is Yiddish for: Cluttered, disordered, scribbled, sloppy, muddled, overly-done.

So Matthew, you're saying that's a good thing. right?

No comments: